Posts
Comments
679
Trackbacks
How to really REALLY delete Google Gmail emails on Windows Phone 7

As a proud owner of a new HTC Titan I followed the same path many other people went down who

1. Came from a different previous mobile phone platform (iPhone/iOS, Android)
  2. Use Google’s Gmail email service on their mobile phone.
  3. Regularly delete emails on their phone.
  4. Want deleted emails to be deleted on the server as well just like their previous mobile phone used to do.
  5. Don’t want to accept any answer involving explanations of how POP or IMAP work when other mobile phones still get it right.

Chances are, you are reading this because you are one of these people and stumbled upon this in hopes of a REAL solution, which is exactly what I promised in the title of this post. So let’s get right to it! I have to admit, I didn’t even figure it out all by myself, I stumbled over the solution by coincidence while configuring my Google Sync Settings to show multiple calendars on my Windows Phone following a blog post on the Windows Phone blog. None of the many discussions I found online on various popular forums ever mentioned the Google Sync Settings, it was usually all around POP vs. IMAP vs. EAS, or changes made in Windows Phone 7.5 Mango, so I figured it worth typing up if it helps somebody else out there.

Typically the described behavior is that even if you delete files on the phone and manually execute a sync, they will still only end up in the Gmail Archive folder, but not the trash. However, if you visit the Google Sync Settings page from your phone at http://m.google.com/sync, you will see the following screen:

After logging on to your account you will get a list of phones you use to sync with your Gmail account. As you can see I came from an iPhone to a Windows Phone:

And now right at the top the obvious answer jumps right at you: Check the “Enable “Delete Email As Trash” for this device” checkbox, and emails deleted on the phone will really REALLY get deleted (meaning end up in the Trash folder) from Gmail at the next sync interval or after a manual sync:

I tried it out of course, and it works as described for me. Hope it does for you as well!

posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 3:46 PM Print
Comments
Nick
3/1/2012 3:35 PM
You sir, are freaking awesome!
Jay
3/26/2012 7:23 AM
Yes, thanks for this.
Oferte Cazare Predeal
3/28/2012 4:43 AM
This is a really good advice to keep into account. Thanks a lot for providing ma all of this good information and I am sure that the people will be also interested in this fact.
Micha
8/1/2012 1:43 PM
saved my day
Jim
8/15/2012 7:17 PM
Thanks for posting this! This was totally annoying me!
V
9/2/2012 2:44 PM
Thanks a lot, works great!!!
Videochat Iasi
9/19/2012 7:26 AM
I still don't understand why some "smart" phones didn't fix this issue. It's frustrating to know that you did everything right but the software won't do it's part. I changed back to Android cause of this issue.
# Cazare Predeal
Cazare Predeal
9/19/2012 8:09 AM
I like this, thank you !
Josh
10/16/2012 8:51 AM
Thanks, this is a great little article for such a pesky problem
Jocuri cu Mario
11/12/2012 4:44 AM
i love this site very good
Sarah
12/10/2012 1:23 PM
I'm extremely frustrated, typing in "http://m.google.com/sync" does not take me to the website that you have in your screenshot. It takes me to a generic website, I click on a link that says "Sync with a mobile device". When I click on that link, I'm taken to a "help" page that gives me instructions for different issues, but nothing that allows me to access the sync settings for my mobile devices. Can anyone tell me what the extra steps are for accessing my windows phone settings?
Anish
12/10/2012 3:29 PM
The same is happening for me. Dumb google acknowledges blackberry mail app but not WP. I may try it on a desktop but for now doesn't work.
Zoltan
1/2/2013 3:08 AM
Rubbish Google took the only solution away. The address doesn't work anymore.
Zoltan
1/2/2013 6:10 AM
Here is the workaround to get http://m.google.com/sync open on your device:
1. First browse to http://www.google.com with your Windows Phone
2. Sign into Google by tapping “Sign In”.
3. Once signed in, type in the search window: http://m.google.com/sync
4. Find “Google Sync” (https://m.google.com/sync/settings/) in the search hits (usually the second item), then tap
5. You should now see a list of your devices. Tap Windows Phone or WP8
6. Check the “Enable Delete Email as Trash for this device” checkbox
7. Save
Anonymous
2/26/2013 1:31 AM
Referring to the post right above, you can simply access m.google.com/sync/settings right after signing in, skipping step 3.
Batman
6/29/2013 10:02 PM
If the address m.google.com/sync gives you a 404 error, try typing the following complete address:

Do remember to sign in first to Google before opening the above address.
Gina Ochiato
8/30/2013 6:09 PM
I have an LG optimus and CAN NOT permanently delete gmail trashed messages???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Title *
Name *
Url
Comment *
Please add 1 and 6 and type the answer here:
News
Welcome! This is the blog of a .NET software development enthusiast living in Silicon Valey, California, USA. The opinions posted here are my own and in no way represent the opinions of my employer or anybody else.